SheetMetalTalk

Go Back   Sheetmetal Talk > TheSheetMetalShop > Introductions and Shameless Self Promotion.

Introductions and Shameless Self Promotion. We want to welcome you to TheSheetMetalShop and thank you for joining us. Please do introduce yourself here.
And for our existing members, please do drop in here as well.

Share This Forum!  

Old 02-22-2020, 07:02 PM

Default Hello everybody!

Im surprised I never ran across this message board before. It's loaded with all sorts of useful and informative information.

I go by the handle Savage11 for obvious reasons. I've been in the sheet metal industry since June 12th, 1999. Yup, I'm a shop rat and I actually prefer the shop over being a field monkey.

For the past few years I've had an interest in learning old school tinnsmithing. Back then sheet metal was a real craft where goods were made by hand. I must admit, the ways of the white smith fasinate me. There was no CNC plasma tables burning out patterns. There were no machines that made forming idiot proof.

Blacksmithing is an art form I've been dabbling in as well. Both blacksmithing and white smithing go hand in hand. Lets face it, all the metal trades are interesting. Hell, where would we be without machinists?

I look forward to learning the ole ways from the vast resources of information contained in this forum. I would also like to thank you all for allowing me to join this fine forum!!

Best regards,
Savage11
Old 02-22-2020, 07:10 PM

Here is a small glimps of my shop. In the back of the shop is a bottle jack press brake I built a while back.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:29 AM

I guess this place is dead, what a shame.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Well, not completely dead. Welcome to the forum ! This use to be a busy place in its day. I really think the social media has hurt a lot of forums anymore.

There is still a wealth of information here to be found and give credit to Bud that he has kept this place online as long as he has.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:30 PM
ME

Welcome to the forum,

It's not dead, just hard to get the tinners engaged in conversation. I'm not to surprised, back in the day, when we'd wrap up for the shift, the team would often hang out at the shop or by one's tailgate and maybe even pour down a cold one. Fridays we'd head to the bar for happy hour...then it all started to change. Everyone was only in a hurry to get home.

Facebook changed the way many shared there passion with the trade. Often, I think about shutting this down and then I get an email notice that someone just took the time out of there busy day to signup to be a member, maybe to help make there day a little easier or just to put there name on the list...so we continue to keep it up for the few that want to hang out.

Thank you for joining us and nice shop.

Bud
Old 02-24-2020, 04:07 PM

Don't shut it down! I've been a sheet metal worker for over 20 years and just stumbled upon this site. There are a lot of young guys and gals in the trade that would find this place helpful. We need to figure out how to advertise this site. Ill talk with the guys at work. The wealth of knowledge is too important to lose!
The Following User Says Thank You to Savage11 For This Useful Post:
Bud (03-02-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Professional Member

Looks like a solid workshop.

Keep on banging the heavy metal!